I got the recipe form a copy of Southern Living Magazine that I had swiped from my mom's house after Thanksgiving. It's the pie that is pictured on the cover and I think I know why.... PS it's because it is fan-f***ing-tastic (pardon my self bleeped language, but it is that good).
The name of this heavenly pie is Salted Caramel-Chocolate Pecan Pie. Sounds fantastic right!! It is :)
|I was very proud of my pie :)|
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup 100% cacao unsweetened cocoa (the powdered kind, not the candy bar kind)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked deep-dish piecrust shell
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups toasted pecan halves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare Filling: Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs, stirring until well blended. Fold in chopped pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes. (Filling will be loose but will set as it cools.) Remove from oven to a wire rack.
- Prepare Topping: Bring 3/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. (Do not stir.) Boil, swirling occasionally after sugar begins to change color, 8 minutes or until dark amber. (Do not walk away from the pan, as the sugar could burn quickly once it begins to change color.) Remove from heat; add cream and 4 Tbsp. butter. Stir constantly until bubbling stops and butter is incorporated (about 1 minute). Stir in table salt.
- Arrange pecan halves on pie. Top with warm caramel. Cool 15 minutes; sprinkle with sea salt.
I followed the direction exactly except... I got the wrong kind of chocolate, I got the 100% Cacao Chocolate bar, but I just pulverized it in a blender till it became a powder and it worked out. Next time I make it I'll use the right kind and see if it is just as good (it probably will be).
Southern Living had this awesome video of the pie on their website and I just had to share it.