I have been itching to do some gardening for the past few weeks, but it can only be in containers since we are leasing our place.
I have seen these three tiered planters all over the garden section on Pinterest and I just had to make one. And I tell you what, it was so easy and it only took a few hours one afternoon.
To make this project you will need:
3 terracotta flower pots sized small, medium and large
2 plastic flower pots sized small and medium
paint ( I used spray paint and it was quick and easy)
and a sunny afternoon :)
I started off by giving my pots a good 4 or 5 coats of spray paint. The terracotta pots tend to absorb the paint and I liked the look the pots had when I did several coats. I ended up using a can and a half of spray paint for my three pots and the saucer.
While the pots dried, I practiced my hand painting skills on the plastic pots. As you can see, it was not very pretty at all!
But eventually it improved :) In the tutorial I got this idea from, the person used a stencil to paint the words on the pots, but I like the uniqueness that the free-hand painting gives.
My little helper came outside with me once I was all done with the spray painting.
My three flower pots all painted and beautiful if I do say so myself. I almost got the satin finish spray paint, but I am glad I didn't because the gloss turned out so pretty!
So I don't have pictures for these steps, but you are going to want to put a little bit of dirt in the bottom of the large terracotta pot and then put the medium plastic pot in upside-down. Then you are going to want to do the same thing with the medium terracotta pot and the small plastic pot.
Next fill the pots up with potting soil, stack them up, and start filling in with plants. I got a variety of different plants; inpatients, petunias, Gerber daisies, and a couple others that I thought were pretty :) To move from the backyard to the front porch, I just carried the pots one at a time and re-stacked them.
I absolutely love how this turned out, and it looks so cute by the front door. I hope I have inspired you to make one too!
My most recent completed project is a lovely quilt that I made for my little nephew Jack. This was supposed to be his Christmas gift but sometimes I am pretty slow getting projects finished. After it being lost in the back of my car for 3 months, I finally found it/pulled it out and finished slip stitching the binding!
I wish I could take credit for the simple design of this quilt but I can't. You can find the pattern and directions here at allpeoplequilt.com. There are 18 fat-quarters in this quilt and I made it a point to not have two of the same prints touching each other. I machine quilted it by simply stitching in the ditch.
This is, by far, the best quilt I have made to date. All my seams matched up super and none of my squares are wonky. My two favorite prints in this quilt are the bright yellow Batman logo square, and the Monopoly money square.
Instead of having a traditional backing, batting, and quilt top sandwich I used this fabulously soft minkee fabric. It gives the perfect weight to the quilt and it is oh so luscious to cuddle under.
The downside to the minkee fabric is the difficulty I had in slip-stitching the binding onto the quilt. Since the minkee is fluffier than normal quilt fabric, it is hard to tell if you are catching the fabric with your needle or if you are just getting fluff and not securing your stitches.
My lovely helper trying to hide from the camera :) I love him.